Frequently Asked Questions

1. What are the requirements for importing and/or selling electrical products?
All electrical equipment imported and sold in Australia must be proven to be electrically safe.  Specific items (declared or prescribed electrical products) must also have Certification and be marked to show compliance with this requirement.

2. Why do I have to obtain Approval certification for electrical products?
Every State and/or Territory of Australia has legislation requiring declared electrical products to be Approved and marked with an safe electronic products approval mark before sale.

3. What products must have Approval certification?
All products listed as Declared (or prescribed) Electrical Products must have Approval certification before being sold in Australia.

4. Will my product approved by SAA be accepted Australia wide?
SAA Approvals has been gazetted as a Recognised External Approvals Scheme by the Minister for Fair Trading (NSW) and all other States of Australia as well as New Zealand recognise SAA Approvals under the Mutual Recognitions Agreement.

5. What information do I need to obtain Approval certification?
There are necessary requirements and this is explained in our Terms, Conditions and Obligations of the Applicant and Certificate Holder (PDF document) and in the guides for completing the guides for completing the application forms on the web site.

6. Where do I obtain the application forms?
These are available from our web site page “Application Forms and Documents“.

7. How much does Approval certification cost?
The fee for Approval generally represents only a very small percentage of the overall cost of bringing a product to the market place and can add just a fraction of a cent to the cost of each item sold. Our Schedule of Fees is listed on our web page “Schedule of Fees“.

8. How long does it take to obtain Approval certification?
SAA Approvals undertakes to provide 5 business days turnaround of approval applications provided all the requisite information is supplied. This time frame is from official receipting of the application to the issuing of the certificate by the accredited officer. A fax or email copy of the certificates will be sent on completion.

Note: An express service is also available with a 1 business day turn-around and a special fee applies. Contact us for more information.

9. How long does the certificate remain valid?
A certificate is issued for a maximum period of five years. A shorter period may apply if requested by the applicant or limited because of impending changes to the relevant product Standard upon which the certification is based or if product type is subject to a higher risk category such as a hair straightening iron. Certificates may be cancelled by the approval holder or by SAA Approvals should a breach of the Terms, Conditions and Obligations specified in the application process, be substantiated.

10. Do I have to do anything after I have the product Approved?
Yes, you must ensure that all products imported and sold are the same as the approved item. Each shipment should be checked to verify that they are the same as the originally approved product; and

You must also ensure that all changes to the product are assessed and added to the Approval certification.

11. What must I do if the certificate has almost expired?
If you wish to continue importing and or selling the product, you must apply for renewal of the approval certificate. If you are not manufacturing or importing the product but a small amount of stock remains to be sold, an extension of the approval may be applied for.

12. What is a declared or prescribed electrical article?

A declared electrical article is one that is listed in the regulatory definitions in the NSW legislation, our Declared Electrical Products list reflects the NSW legislation list. A listing is available in the Australian Standard AS/NZS 4417.2. This list of articles is duplicated in the various States legislation.

13. What is a non-declared or non-prescribed electrical article?
A non-declared electrical article is one that does not fit the full declared definition or is not on the declared article list. For more information see our list of general products included under the declared definitions or contact us directly.

14. Do I have to register all my models and brand names?
Yes! All variations of a model type must be listed on the approval certificate. All Brand or Trade names must also be listed.

15. Is an overseas approval or certification accepted in Australia?
No! Australia has an independent requirement for approval certification. All declared products must be covered by a Certificate of Approval and be marked in an appropriate way to show this.

16. Can I get an Approval certificate for a Non-declared electrical product?
Yes! SAA Approvals will issue Certificates of Approval for Non-declared Electrical Products. The same requirements apply to gain the certification for a non-declared product as for a declared product.

17. Do I have to also gain SAA approval if the product has overseas certification?
Yes! Australia has an independent requirement for Approval Certification. All declared electrical products must be covered by an Approval certificate and be marked in an appropriate way to show this.

18. If a company already sells the same product as I want to sell do I have to have my product approved?
If you have bought the product from a manufacturer and they hold the Approval certificate for that product then you may sell that product legally under that approval certification provided that your model number and brand name has been registered on the Approval.

If you source a product from a manufacturer (including overseas) and the product is already sold to a supplier who has obtained and holds the approval certification, then you cannot legally import or sell the product without obtaining your own approval certification.